- Two RAF Harriers fly direct from Ascension to HMS Hermes off the Falklands.
- RN Sea Harrier shot down off Stanley, pilot rescued by RN Sea King helicopter.
Mrs Thatcher offers Argentina last chance to withdraw.
- Canberra arrives in San Carlos Water, carrying bulk of 5 Infantry Brigade, transferred from QE2 off South Georgia.
- 2 PARA move forward to Fitzroy settlement and Bluff Cove.
- ‘Friendly fire’ incident between an SBS patrol and an SAS patrol, 1 lost.
- Versailles summit opens, Reagan five-point plan given to Britain.
- RAF Vulcan bomber diverts to Brazil with refuelling problems after raid on Stanley airfield.
- 42 Commando RM occupy Mount Challenger.
- Gazelle helicopter of 656 Sqn AAC shot down in ‘friendly fire’ incident, 3 lost.
- Sunday 6th
- First visit to Montevideo by a hospital ambulance ship. HMS Hydra lands 51 casualties to be flown back to the UK on board RAF VC10s.
- UN Secretary General announces peace plan.
- Argentine photo-reconnaissance Learjet shot down over San Carlos.
- President Reagan becomes first US President to address both Houses of Parliament.
- HMS Plymouth attacked and damaged.
- RFAs Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram bombed at Fitzroy, 50 lost.
Killed in Action:
L/Cpl A Burke
L/Cpl B C Bullers
L/Sgt J R Carlyle
Pte A M Connett
Gmn I A Dale
Gmn M J Dunphy
Gmn P Edwards
Sgt C Elley
L/Cpl I R Farrell
Gmn M Gibby
Gmn G C Grace
Gmn P Green
Gmn G M Griffiths
3rd EO C F Hailwood
2nd EO P A Henry GM
Gmn D N Hughes
Gmn G Hughes
Gmn B Jasper
Pte M A Jones
Gmn A Keeble
L/Sgt K Keoghane
Elec Fit Leung C
Gmn M J Marks
Cpl A G McIllvenny
Pte R W Middlewick
Gmn C Mordecai
3rd EO A J Morris
L/Cpl S J Newbury
Gmn G D Nicholson
Major R Nutbeem
Gmn C C Parsons
Gmn E J Phillips
Gmn G W Poole
Pte K Preston
Craftsman M W Rollins
Gmn N A Rowberry
L/Cpl A R Streatfield
L/Cpl P A Sweet
Butcher Sung Y F
Spr W D Tarbard
Gmn G K Thomas
L/Cpl N D M Thomas
Gmn R G Thomas
Gmn A Walker
L/Cpl C F Ward
Gmn J F Weaver
Sgt M Wigley
Gmn D R Williams
Seaman Yeung S K
Bosun Yu S C
- Landing Craft F4 from HMS Fearless attacked by 4 Skyhawks in Choiseul Sound: 3 shot down by patrolling Sea Harriers, 6 lost
- Observation party attacked by Argentine troops in only action to take place on West Falkland, 1 lost.
- QE2 arrives back at Southampton carrying 700 survivors from sinkings of HM Ships Coventry, Ardent and Antelope.
- 42 Commando RM attack Mount Harriet, 2 lost.
- 45 Commando RM attack Two Sisters, 8 lost.
- 3 PARA attack Mount Longdon, 23 lost.
Killed in Action:
Pte R J Absolon MM
Pte G Bull
Pte J S Burt
Pte J D Crow
Pte M S Dodsworth
Pte A D Greenwood
Pte N Grose
Pte P J Hedicker
L/Cpl P D Higgs
Cpl S Hope
Pte T R Jenkins
Pte C E Jones
Pte S I Laing
L/Cpl C K Lovett
Cpl K J McCarthy
Sgt I J McKay VC
Cpl S P F McLaughlin
L/Cpl J H Murdoch
L/Cpl D E Scott
Pte I P Scrivens
Craftsman A Shaw
Pte P A West
Cpl S Wilson
- House on the outskirts of Stanley hit by British shelling, causing the only civilian casualties of the war, 3 lost.
- HMS Glamorgan, while withdrawing to sea after supporting above attacks, hit by land-launched Exocet fired from Stanley, 13 lost.
- 2 PARA attack Wireless Ridge, 3 lost.
- 2nd Bn Scots Guards attack Tumbledown Mountain, 9 lost.
- Heavy Argentine shelling of British positions, 1 lost.
- 1/7 Gurkhas move up ready to attack Mount William.
- Argentine forces surrender, British forces take up positions in Stanley.
- Argentine prisoners collected from outlying units; 10,254 in total.
- Land Forces HQ established at Government House, cleanup and consolidation of Stanley area begins.
- General Galtieri replaced as President of Argentina and commander-in-chief of the Army.
- HMS Plymouth first British warship to sail back into Port Stanley.
- HMS Yarmouth and RFA Olmeda pick up men from M Company, 42 Commando from South Georgia.
- Canberra and Norland leave for Puerto Madryn, Argentina, carrying over 8,000 POWs.
- HMS Endurance arrives at Southern Thule.
- EEC lifts trade sanctions against Argentina.
- Argentine forces surrender on Southern Thule when HMS Yarmouth arrives with remainder of M Coy, 42 Cdo.
- The new Argentine President, General Bignone, announces that the ceasefire will be observed by all Argentine forces.
- Canberra returns from Argentina and embarks 3 Cdo Brigade for return to England.
- Norland embarks 2 PARA and 3 PARA and sails for Ascension Island.
- First extended-range Hercules lands at Stanley airfield.
- Fatal explosion while clearing Argentine trenches at Goose Green, 1 lost.
- Alexander Haig quits as US Secretary of State, George Shultz takes over.
- RFA Sir Galahad scuttled at sea as a war grave.