Skip to the content
- UN Security Council adopts Resolution 502 ordering Argentina to withdraw.
- Argentina invades the Falkland Islands.
- NP8901 and Falkland Island Defence Force overwhelmed by larger force.
- The United Nations approved resolution 502.
- RN ships on Exercise Springtrain 82 ordered south from Gibraltar.
- Argentine forces attack British Antarctic Survey scientists and Royal Marine Detachment at Grytviken, South Georgia.
- Fifty-two school children are evacuated from Stanley.
- United Nations condemns invasion.
- Argentine forces occupy Goose Green and Darwin. One hundred civilians imprisoned in the community centre.
- British Submarine sails for South Atlantic tasking.
- British carrier group deploys.
- Maritime Patrol Aircraft arrive on Ascension Island.
- US Secretary of State, Alexander Haig, begins peace shuttle.
- British Amphibious Support ship deploys.
- Britain declares 200-mile exclusion zone around Falkland Islands.
- Royal Navy ships depart Gibraltar.
- SS Canberra, with 40 and 42 Commando RM, and 3 PARA embarked, and MV Elk, with 2000 tons of ammunition, sail from Southampton.
- EEC bans imports from Argentina in support of Britain.
- British Task Force gather at Ascension Island.
- First elements of British Task Force leave Ascension.
- Intelligence assessment puts Argentine strength on Falklands at 7,000 men.
- HMS Endurance joins Antrim Group and heads for South Georgia.
- Main Task Force departs Ascension.
- HMS Hermes arrives Ascension.
- Hermes Group leaves Ascension.
- RAF tanker aircraft arrive Ascension.
- Hospital Ship SS Uganda departs Gibraltar.
- SS Canberra arrives Ascension.
- Antrim Group arrives off South Georgia and begins reconnaissance.
- Two Wessex helicopters recovering special forces lost during abortive landing on South Georgia glacier.
- A Sea King helicopter from HMS Hermes crashes into the sea after dark.
Killed in Action
PO K S Casey
- Atlantic Conveyor completes fitting of helicopter decks at Devonport.
- HMS Brilliant joins Antrim Group off South Georgia.
- Submarine Santa Fe damaged by helicopter attacks, at South Georgia.
- RM and SAS assault on Grytviken; South Georgia recaptured.
- HMS Intrepid, Atlantic Conveyor and MV Europic Ferry depart for the South Atlantic.
- MV Norland, with 2 PARA embarked, and RFA Sir Bedivere sail from UK.
- Antrim Group departs South Georgia leaving HMS Endurance on patrol.
- HM Hospital Ship Uganda leaves Ascension.