SAMA (82) Sponsored Veterans Concessionary Flight Information (Sept 2018)
NEWS- Amended return flight cost £248 (Sept 2018)
Please send a copy of the personal details page of your passport when submitting a flight application form
Attachments:- Click the links below to download and print off
- Veterans Concessionary Flight Application Form. –> Concessionary Flight Application form
- Concessionary flight Information –> Concessionary Flight Information – updated September 2018
- Important information –> Falkland Islands Import Procedures Information Leaflet 2011 It is important that you know what food and plant material etc that you can and can not take to the Falkland Islands.
- SAMA (82) Membership Application–> SAMA (82) Membership Application Form
- Gift Aid and Voluntary Donation –> SAMA (82) Bank Mandate Form
Veterans Concessionary Flight Application Process
- The Concessionary Flight Scheme applies to the South Atlantic Medal holder only.
- The Flight Application Form (attachment above) must be completed in full and returned together with a copy of your passport to the SAMA (82) Office. via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to SAMA82, Unit 25 Torfaen Business Centre, Pontypool, Gwent, NP4 0LS
- Once your Flight Application Form is received by the SAMA (82) Office/Sponsor, and your eligibility is checked, it will be forwarded to the MoD for processing.
- Once accepted for a flight the MoD will email the SAMA (82) Office/Sponsor who in turn will inform the Applicant and a Passenger Information Itinerary will be issued. This will also act as your ticket. Please Note: The MOD have recently held a Review of Policy meeting in respect of the Airbridge flights to the Falkland Islands. Due to the more frequent use of the Falkland Islands facilities being used for military training purposes it appears that the amount of Concessionary Fare Paying seats and Indulgence seats have been reduced. You must be aware that when you apply for a flight under the Concessionary Scheme you are not guaranteed to fly on your requested dates. We will only hear from the MOD Flight Booking Office approximately one week prior to your requested departure date and it is only then that we will know if your application for a flight has been successful. If you are taking a member of your family with you and paying for a full fare via the Falkland Island Government Office, every effort will be made to ensure you fly together, however this cannot be guaranteed.
- You are reminded that although you may be applying as part of an organised group, each individual must apply for their own flight and it will be processed on a first come, first served basis
- Once your flight has been confirmed you should arrange your travel to RAF Brize Norton. Please remember to have sufficient funds (credit/debit card or cheque) to pay for your flight at the airport. SAMA does not receive any further information about your flight and you must check the Brize Norton website/departures for information about delays etc.
- The SAMA (82) Office should always be your first point of contact for any inquiries in relation to your Veterans Concessionary Flight Application and they will endeavour to answer any questions you may have. Please email email@example.com or if urgent please telephone 01495 741592 between 1000hrs – 1300hrs, Monday to Thursday. Emergencies only: telephone the Sponsor on 07986 103035.
- If for some unforeseen circumstances you are unable to return from the FI using this scheme you MUST have access to sufficient funds to cover the cost of a commercial flight to the United Kingdom (UK). The cost of a single scheduled flight from Mount Pleasant Airport (MPA) to the UK with LATAM Airlines is currently £864 (Dec 2011), plus the cost of hotel accommodation, transfers and food for an overnight stop in Chile.
Veterans Concessionary Flight Costs
The current cost of a return flight is £248 which you pay at RAF Brize Norton before departure.
NOTE: On occasions the card machine at Brize Norton does not work, so we recommend you only pay by cash or cheque.
South Atlantic Flight Schedule
PLEASE NOTE: The flights currently cannot go via Ascension Island. They have to refuel in Africa, however at this time you do not need a Yellow fever jab. . This may change in the future and you may be required to have the injection prior to travel.
Flights to and from the FI are now operated by the RAF on the Voyager aircraft, with two scheduled flights per week both Southbound and Northbound.
These flights operate as follows:
Southbound: Each Wednesday and Sunday from RAF Brize Norton to MPA.
- Flights normally depart RAF Brize Norton at approx. 0110 (Thursday and Monday).
- Passengers are to report to the Main Gate at least 3 and a half hrs prior to flight departure. You will then wait in the Visitors Reception Area until 3 hours before departure when you will be taken by bus to the terminal for check in and pass straight through to the departure lounge. The SAMA82 office will inform you on application of the current parking arrangements at Brize Norton. YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO JUST TURN UP AND PARK.
Northbound: Each Tuesday and Friday from Mount Pleasant to RAF Brize Norton.
- NOTE: If you do not arrive 3 hours before departure time you may not be allowed to travel.
Wed Flight : Arrive MPA approx 1720hrs Thurs
Sun Flight : Arrive MPA approx 1720hrs Mon
Tue Flight : Arrive Brize Norton approx 0900 hrs Weds
Fri Flight : Arrive Brize Norton approx 0900 hrs Sat
Booking Your Flight Dates
Once you have decided upon your choice of dates you wish to travel, both Southbound and Northbound, insert these onto the Flight Application Form.
The dates chosen MUST be at least 8 weeks after the date of application. Your accommodation must be secured first – see below.
All applications for flights to the FI must have a ‘Confirmed Accommodation Address’ with contact telephone number before submitting the Flight Application to the SAMA (82) Office. This information is to be entered on Page 2 of the Application Form. Please also provide an email address for your hosts/accommodation provider.
Applicants are responsible for booking their own accommodation. The Sponsor will not make these arrangements on your behalf.
To book accommodation at Liberty Lodge please visit the Falklands Veterans Foundation’s (FVF) website: http://www.falklandsveterans.org.uk . The FVF run and manage Liberty Lodge which is for the use of Veterans, their families and NoK of those Killed in Action. It is a self-catering facility with fantastic views and is maintained to a very high standard. There are many benefits in staying at Liberty Lodge, to name a few, the FVF will arrange your transfers from/to MPA, organise an itinerary for your pilgrimage and you will have use of 3 vehicles which are supplied and maintained by the SAMA Falkland Island Trust which is based in the FI.
If you are booking your own accommodation, please visit the following website:
http://www.falklandislands.com/ and click ‘Accommodation’
The Falkland Islands Tourist Board, Stanley
Tel: +(500) 22215
Please Note: If you book your own accommodation you will also have to arrange your own transfers from/to MPA and any battlefield tours.
RAF Brize Norton Information
Air Terminal Information
The services and facilities available include:
- Check-in desks and Passenger Information Desk
- Coffee shop and snacks/drinks vending machine
- Children’s soft play area
- Short term and long term car parking – Only available through prior arrangement through the SAMA office.
- Car rental desks
- Newsagent kiosk (open for most scheduled flight departures)
- Internet access kiosks & free WIFI for passengers
- Television and gaming machines
- Cash machine (fee payable)
- Public telephones and post box
Full Information here –> http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/passengers/index.cfm
If you are disabled or have difficulty walking and require a wheelchair, please ask for assistance at the Information Desk or Check-In Desk 1.
Please Note: All passengers must be able to climb the steps of the aircraft without assistance.
Long Term Car Parking At RAF Brize Norton
Up to date information on parking arrangements will be given on flight confirmation from the SAMA82 office.
Falkland Islands Immigration Form
You should complete this form in full and present it to Immigration Control on arrival at MPA.
These forms should be issued to you before the aircraft is due to land at the FI.
Length Of Stay On The Islands
There is no restriction on the length of your stay, but the final decision rests with the FI Immigration Officer at MPA on arrival.
Currency On The Islands
The currency is the Falkland Island Pound, but Sterling (GB Pound) is accepted everywhere.
The Bank and Treasury in Stanley have confirmed that they will accept all UK Bank notes, unless they are totally illegible, very badly damaged, out of circulation or with the security strip missing. This is no different practice to the UK
Cost Of Living On The Falkland Islands
The cost of living is similar to the UK.
Some Typical Costs
Hire a 4 x 4 vehicle, with driver for the day £75.00
Meal out (per person) from £10.00
Respecting The Laws And Customs Of The FI
While in the FI you are subject to and expected to comply with the laws of the FI.
Block Out Dates
During the changeover of the Force Infantry Company or other planned or unplanned exercises taking place, some periods will be blocked out for flights. These dates will be notified to all Applicants by the Sponsor if their Flight Application coincides with any of these activities and alternative dates will be offered.
Q & A to Concessionary Flights
Who Is Eligible For A Concessionary Flight?
Only Veterans of the Falklands Conflict who hold the South Atlantic Medal [SAM] are eligible to use the Concessionary Flight Scheme. Anyone who wishes to accompany a veteran will have to book a flight through the Falkland Island Government Office (tel: 0207 222 2542). However the fare is in the region of £1500 – £1600.
How Do I Apply For Flights?
Complete the Flight Application Form and return it to the SAMA (82) Office.
When Will I Know If I Have A Seat?
Confirmation will be sent out by e mail in the form of a Passenger Information Itinerary and will confirm the flight and act as your ticket.
Please Note:- This may only be issued 1 week before the flight departure date.
Will The Flight Be Just Like A Civilian Flight?
The RAF planes are Voyagers, based on the A330-200 Airbus.
All meals, soft drinks and in-flight entertainment are included in the ticket price.
However, all military flights are ‘dry’. Anyone attempting to check in for a flight under the influence of alcohol will be turned away.
What Is My Baggage Allowance?
Passengers are entitled to 20kgs of hold luggage and 9kgs hand baggage. If your luggage weighs more than this you may not be allowed to take it on board, or there may be an excess baggage charge.
If I Am Travelling To The FI, Which Is British, Why Do I Need To Take My Passport?
The Falkland Islands are 8000 miles from the UK and the aircraft may have to divert to another country due to weather conditions, or if the aircraft was to become unserviceable. It is also possible that a return flight might not be available and you may need to return on a commercial flight. For that reason passengers without a valid UK passport will not be allowed to fly.
Do I Need Travel Insurance?
Yes. You will need to have suitable travel insurance in place, including full medical repatriation cover for your trip to the FI. Medical facilities are limited on the FI and it may be necessary to medically evacuate you in the case of serious illness or injury. The current cost of medical evacuation is in excess of £30,000. It is therefore very important that you obtain worldwide travel insurance for the duration of your stay and it is advisable to extend the period of insurance for at least one week past your planned arrival back in the UK. This is because your aircraft may have to divert to another country on route back to the UK You MUST provide the SAMA office with details of your insurance before departure.
How Long Is The Journey And Is It Non Stop?
Your journey will be split into two legs. The first is from RAF Brize Norton to Cape Verde (from 11 June 2017) and will be approximately 6hrs in length. Following a stop to refuel and drop off or collect more passengers (approx 2hrs) you will travel for a further 11 hrs to reach MPA.
How Do I Get To RAF Brize Norton?
There is a regular bus service from Oxford and Swindon Bus Stations to RAF Brize Norton. The responsibility and cost for getting to RAF Brize Norton lies with the passenger. RAF Brize Norton has its own website which offers travel information and travel directions.
What Do I Do When I Arrive At RAF Brize Norton?
You are to report to the Main Gate Guardroom and with your passport, book in and you will be directed to the Main Terminal Building Departure Lounge.
How Do I Get From MPA To Stanley & Stanley To MPA?
There are passenger transfers. A bus service exists to meet all flights. This service is available at a cost of £10.00 each way and will be booked by your accommodation on request. Once booked, failure to travel on the bus will still incur a £10.00 cost.
Passengers must contact Falkland Islands Tours and Travel [FITT] to request a transfer back to MPA. Tel No: (00 500) 21775
Will My Mobile Phone Work In The FI?
Some do and some do not. You can purchase a Cable & Wireless Sim Card in the FI to enable you to keep in contact with the UK.
Can I Take Food and Plants to the FI
There are strict importation rules for food stuff and plant materiel into the Falkland Islands. Read the leaflet carefully and if in any doubt ASK before you arrive at Brize Norton.
Useful Contact Details
SAMA (82) Office email address for all enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
SAMA (82) Office: 01495 741592
SAMA (82) Sponsor: (Emergencies Only – 07986 103035)
RAF Brize Norton Passenger Information Desk: Telephone 01993 896050 or Military Telephone 95461 6050
JABC Mount Pleasant: (00 500) 76434
Falklands Veterans Foundation incorporating Liberty Lodge: http://www.falklandsveterans.org.uk
The Gateway House Hotel: 01993 897320/897321 (24hrs)
Getting to and from RAF Brize Norton: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/flyinginfo/gettingtoandfromrafbrizenorton.cfm
Brize Norton Flight Information: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/passengers/index.cfm
Price comparison website which may help you find travel insurance: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/
Route Planner: http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner
There is a range of car rental facilities available at RAF Brize Norton.
Vehicles should be pre-booked using the contact details given below to ensure availability (AVIS, Europcar and Hertz only provide vehicles for pre-arranged bookings – National and Brize Self Drive keep vehicles on-site for rental). Information on accepted payment methods and full rental terms should be obtained when making booking enquiries. Brize Self Drive can only provide one-way rental by pre-arrangement; telephone for further details.
National Car Rental Tel: 01993 846118
AVIS Car Rental Tel: 01865 727573 (Oxford Office) or 08445 445566 (24hrs)
Europcar Car Rental Tel: 0870 6075000 (24hrs)
Hertz Car Rental Tel: 0870 5996699 (24hrs)
Brize Self Drive Tel: 01993 867366
Transfers to and from RAF Brize Norton, Oxford and Swindon Railway Stations and Heathrow Airport.
The following offer transfers to all passengers and have access to RAF Brize Norton for pick-ups and drop offs.
Charlie’s Taxis : 01993 845253 (also provides secure parking if no parking available in RAF Brize Norton – ring for details)
Excel Cars : 01993 775198
Advance bookings are recommended.